Jewish National Fund of Canada
Chief Executive Officer – Jewish National Fund of Canada (JNF Canada)
COMPANY BACKGROUND AND CULTURE
Historically, the Jewish National Fund of Canada has served as the caretaker of the land of Israel. This mission took the role of planting trees, building water reservoirs, preparing land for new communities, and building parks and bicycle trails. More recently, JNF Canada has taken on projects to build the social infrastructure of the land of Israel for the benefit of the People of Israel. We have partnered with a variety of Israeli NGO’s to build infrastructure to benefit vulnerable populations such as youth-at-risk, victims of domestic abuse, special needs children, veterans and the poor. We are Building the Foundations of Israel’s Future
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall coordination, design and implementation of programs, public activities and fundraising for the Alberta Region of JNF, consisting primarily of Calgary and Edmonton. This includes JNF Calgary and Edmonton Board of Directors (“Board”) and lay leader relations, community representation and development, financial resource progression and management of governance structures.
The challenge of this opportunity is to marshal JNF’s full organizational and philanthropic potential in order to engage, inspire and strengthen the Jewish community throughout Alberta and highlight JNF’s impact on Israel and Jews overseas.
The scope of responsibility of the Executive Director includes, but is not limited to the following:
Fundraising and Execution:
- Provide ongoing strategic direction and developing and implementing a sophisticated plan for the growth of fundraising initiative including, annual giving, special one-time gifts, planned giving, etc….
- Guide and assist the local President, Board and committees to envision and initiate key annual programs and to organize special events while building solid relationships with donors.
- Overall responsibility for organizing the Annual Negev Dinner, guiding the Selection Committee in choosing an Honouree and supervising the implementation of a successful dinner.
- Generate, prepare and apply new marketing strategies to increase affiliation and engage new donors.
- Create and execute new programs that will target specific audiences such as Young Leadership, non-Jewish supporters, etc.
Internal Management and Operations:
- Create and move forward the image of JNF as a unique Israel based organization gaining interest and support from the Alberta Region.
- Recruiting, training and mentoring JNF staff in each city.
- Developing and managing the operating budget of each city.
- In partnership with the President, and committees, ensures lay involvement in all activities.
- Liaise with institutions, corporations and other community citizens to establish and help implement shared programs.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- Submit a comprehensive plan for achieving objectives to the Chief Executive Officer/Board within the first four months.
- Gain credibility with internal and external stakeholders and form strong relationships with the donor community, National Organization and lay leadership of JNF Calgary and Edmonton.
- Have a process in place to ensure the effective leadership and evaluation of the JNF Calgary and Edmonton staff
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at a high level of management in a complex organization, preferably with some time spent as Executive Director or General Manager or comparable position. Non-profit experience is an asset.
- Experience with fundraising and major gift cultivation and solicitation, as a professional or lay leader.
- Able to work effectively under pressure, have independent judgment and work within strict deadlines.
- Demonstrates excellent working relationships with lay leadership and professional co-workers.
- Displays evidence of working with diverse groups and an ability to resolve differences.
- Familiarity with the Canadian Jewish Community.
- Solid public speaking and written communication skills.
- Works well with grassroots community groups.
- Appreciation of and commitment to Israel and Jewish values.
- Keen understanding of media and marketing.
- Has a strong ability to manage time, people, projects and material.
- Working with a fundraising database, such as Raiser’s Edge.
- A track record of effective staff management.
- Financial acumen.
- Marketing savvy
- Managing Diverse Relationships Relates well to a wide variety of diverse styles, types and classes; open to differences; effective, open and flexible and able to build diverse networks, quick to find common ground; treats difference fairly and equitably; respects everyone as a preferred advocacy client.
- Relating Skills Skilled at building personal and organizational relationships with key local stakeholders, has a strong ability to manage time, people, projects and material.
- Making Tough People Calls Reads people accurately; can diagnose strengths, weaknesses, and potential, knows what skills are required to fill a job or role; hires the best.
- Closing Major Gifts Evaluate, develop and implement all aspects of a comprehensive major gifts program; be a key contributor in motivating individuals, corporations, and foundations to become major donors.
- Being Organizationally Savvy Must have high motivation, dedication to detail and accuracy while working independently or as a member of a team.
- Getting Work Done Through Others Manages people well; gets the most and the best out of the people he or she has; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, gives credit for achievements and provides useful feedback; delegates and develops; keeps people informed; implements coaching for today and for the future.
- Making Complex Decisions Can solve even the toughest and most complex of problems; great at deciphering meaning from whatever data is available; is a quick study of the new and different; adds personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques.
University degree, postgraduate or professional degree preferred.
To apply in confidence, please send a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com
Deadline: April 30, 2019 Only those selected for an interview will be contacted